English USA Lesson 20, Part 1
Writer: Maurice Imhoof
Producer: Frank Beardsley
Turkish: Hülya Polat
In the next English USA lesson, Martin Learner visits with a farm couple. You will learn to distinguish between statements about the present and the past.
Bu derste Martin Learner bir çiftçi ailesini ziyaret ediyor. Şimdiki ve geçmiş zaman kullanımları arasındaki farkı görecek ve bol bol alıştırma yapacaksınız.
2. This is English USA, on VOA. Today, Lesson 20, Part 1.
3. Today you will learn to distinguish between statements about the present and the past. You will also learn to answer questions about the past. Martin talks with a farm couple.
Bu derste şimdiki zaman ve geçmiş zamanlı cümleler arasındaki fark üzerinde duracağız. Bu derste ayrıca geçmiş zamanlı sorulara cevap vermeyi öğreneceksiniz. Martin ziyaret ettiği aileyle konuşmaya devam ediyor.
6. MARTIN: I like your farm, Walter.
7. WALTER: Thanks. I like the farm too. I lived in town for seven years.
8. MARTIN: But you liked the farm?
9. WALTER: Yes. My father was a farmer. I was a child. And then I was a student. I lived in the country for nineteen years.
10. MARTIN: Did you work with your father?
11. WALTER: Of course. I worked in the morning, and I worked in the evening.
12. MARTIN: Did you go to school?
3. WALTER: Yes. I went to high school in town.
15. WALTER: Some farmers don't like animals.
16. MARTIN: You have cows.
17. WALTER: That's right. I like sheep too.
18. MARTIN: Do you grow corn and beans?
19. WALTER: Yes. But I have cows and sheep. Do you like sheep?
20. MARTIN: I like animals. But I live in the city.
21. WALTER: Where is your home?
22. MARTIN: I live in Baltimore.
23. WALTER: Do you have a family?
24. MARTIN: Yes. I have a wife, a son and a daughter.
25. WALTER: Are they with you here?
26. MARTIN: No, they're in Baltimore. My wife is working.
27. WALTER: My brother lives in Philadelphia. That's in the East.
28. MARTIN: That's right.
29. WALTER: My sister lives in the West. She lives in Los Angeles. She lived in San Diego last year.
30. MARTIN: Is she married?
31. WALTER: Yes, she is.
32. MARTIN: What does she do?
33. WALTER: She makes airplanes. Her husband makes airplanes too.
34. MARTIN: Are your parents living?
35. WALTER: Yes, they are.
36. MARTIN: Where do they live?
37. WALTER: They live in San Diego. The lived with my sister.
38. MARTIN: Was your sister married?
39. WALTER: No. She is married now. She married last year. She moved to Los Angeles. They stayed in San Diego.
41. Remember, when we talk about the past in English, the verb changes. "I live in town" means I live there at the present time. "I lived in town" means sometime in the past. Listen to these sentences.
Unutmayın, İngilizce’de geçmişten bahsederken cümlenin fiili değişir. “I live in town” Şimdi şehirde yaşıyorum anlamına gelir. “I lived in town” ise “Eskiden kentte yaşardım” demektir. Cümleleri dikkatle dinleyin.
42. WALTER: I lived in town for seven years.
43. MARTIN: But you liked the farm?
44. WALTER: I lived in the country for nineteen years.
45. MARTIN: Did you work with your father?
46. WALTER: I worked in the morning, and I worked in the evening.
47. MARTIN: Live. Lived.
48. WALTER: Work. Worked.
49. Questions in the past often begin with the word "did." "Did" tells you the answer should be in past time. Listen to these questions and answers.
Geçmişle ilgili sorular genel olarak “did” fiiliyle başlar. “Did” sorularına fiillerin geçmiş zaman çekimini kullanarak cevap vermeniz gerektiğini unutmayın. Vereceğimiz soru ve cevapları dikkatle dinleyin.
50. MARTIN: Did you work last year.
51. WALTER: Yes, I worked with my father.
52. MARTIN: Did she live with her parents?
53. WALTER: Yes, she lived with her parents.
54. MARTIN: Did they walk to town?
55. WALTER: Yes, they walked to town.
56. Can you answer some of these questions about your past?
Şimdi geçmişinizle ilgili olarak vereceğimiz sorulara cevap verebilir misiniz?
58. MARTIN: Did you work last year?
60. MARTIN: Did you live in an apartment last year?
62. MARTIN: Did you study last year?
65. WALTER: Let's walk to the house. Do you want some coffee?
66. MARTIN: Yes, please.
67. WALTER: See the corn?
68. MARTIN: Where?
69. WALTER: Look to the south.
70. MARTIN: Is that south? I see the corn.
71. WALTER: Now look to the west.
72. MARTIN: I can see soybeans.
73. WALTER: That's right. I grow corn and beans.
74. MARTIN: Do you visit your mother and father?
75. WALTER: My wife and I visited my mother and father last year.
76. MARTIN: Did you visit your sister?
77. WALTER: No, we didn't. She visited us here.
78. MARTIN: Do you visit your brother?
79. WALTER: No, he visited us too. We had a family reunion.
81. You have been listening to VOA's English USA, Lesson 20, Part 1. You will learn to answer more questions about your family in Lesson 20, Part 2.
English USA Lesson 20, Part 2
Writer: Maurice Imhoof
Producer: Frank Beardsley
Turkish: Hülya Polat
In the next English USA lesson, Martin Learner talks with a farm couple about their families. You will answer more questions about your family.
2. This is English USA, on VOA. Today, Lesson 20, Part 2.
3. In today's lessons you will answer questions about your family. Martin is visiting the home of Walter and Rebecca.
Bu derste ailenizle ilgili sorulara cevap verme pratiği yapacaksınız. Martin Walter ve Rebecca’yı evlerinde ziyaret ediyor.
5. TELEVISION VOICES
6. WALTER: Please sit down, Martin. Rebecca! We're here! Martin, this is my wife, Rebecca.
7. MARTIN: I'm happy to meet you.
8. REBECCA: Thank you. How are you?
9. MARTIN: Fine thanks. I like your house.
10. REBECCA: The farm houses are old. Coffee?
11. MARTIN: Please.
12. REBECCA: Walter?
13. WALTER: Yes, please.
14. REBECCA: Did you see the farm?
15. MARTIN: Yes, I saw the cows and sheep.
16. WALTER: We walked to the river. We talked about the family reunion.
17. MARTIN: I'm writing about farm families.
18. REBECCA: Did you visit the Kessler family reunion?
19. MARTIN: Yes, I did. I visited some farms too. May I ask some questions about your family?
20. REBECCA: OK. More coffee?
21. MARTIN: No, thanks. Do you have brothers and sisters?
22. REBECCA: I have two brothers.
23. MARTIN: Are they farmers?
24. REBECCA: One is a farmer.
25. MARTIN: Where does he live?
26. REBECCA: He lives north of here. He has two boys.
27. MARTIN: Two sons. No daughters?
28. REBECCA: That's right. They are very small. One son is four. One is two.
29. MARTIN: Where does your other brother live?
30. REBECCA: He lives in Chicago. He drives a truck.
32. Yes or no questions have a different sound from statements. Listen to Martin Learner give some examples. He will ask a question, then make a statement. Notice the ends of the sentences.
“Evet” veya “hayır” cevaplarının tonlaması farklıdır. Martin Learner’ın verdiği örnekleri dinleyin. Martin bir soru soracak, sonra da cevap verecek. Cümlelerin sonundaki tonlamalara dikkat edin.
33. MARTIN: Are they small? They are small.
Does he have two boys? He has two boys.
Does he live in Chicago? He lives in Chicago.
34. Yes or no questions rise at the end. Statements fall at the end. Listen again to the last word of each question and the last word of each answer.
“Evet” veya “hayır” soruları, sorunun sonunda sesin yükselmesine neden olur. Cevaplmardaysa cümle sonunda ses düşer. Her sorunun son kelimesini ve cevabın sonunu tekrar dinleyin.
35. MARTIN: Are they small? They are small.
Are they small? They are small.
36. Now you ask the question. Martin will make a statement. You change it to a question.
Şimdi soruyu siz sorun. Martin cevap verecek. Siz de cevabın sorusunu sormayı deneyin.
38. MARTIN: They are small.
40. MARTIN: They are large.
42. MARTIN: They are farmers.
44. REBECCA: Do you have a family, Martin?
45. MARTIN: Yes, I do. I have a wife and two children. Our home is in Baltimore. Do you have a large family?
46. WALTER: I don't.
47. REBECCA: I do. My mother and father live in town. I have aunts and uncles in the East and in the West.
48. MARTIN: Are your grandparents living?
49. REBECCA: Yes, they are.
50. MARTIN: Where do they live?
51. REBECCA: My mother's parents live in town. My father's parents live in Phoenix.
52. MARTIN: Do they work?
53. REBECCA: No, they're retired.
54. MARTIN: What do your aunts and uncles do?
55. REBECCA: Everything.
56. WALTER: That's right.
60. MARTIN: Tell me.
61. REBECCA: Two aunts are teachers. One uncle is an electrician. Two-- no, three uncles are farmers. One aunt is a secretary. One uncle works in a factory. More?
63. Can you answer more questions about your family?
65. MARTIN: Do you have a family?
67. MARTIN: Do you have an aunt?
69. MARTIN: Do you have an uncle?
71. REBECCA: One aunt is a housewife. She has small children. Two aunts are retired. One uncle is retired.
72. MARTIN: You do have a large family.
74. You have been listening to VOA's English USA, Lesson 20, Part 2. Please join us for the next lesson.
20’nci dersimiz de burada sona eriyor. 21’nci derste yine birlikte olacağız.